Community-owned multilingual focus groups: Stipend opportunity in Polyglot* Philadelphia
This opportunity is now closed.
Following the decision-making panel’s review of the submitted applications, the organizations listed below have been selected for this opportunity:
- African Family Health Organization (AFAHO)
- Bethany Christian Services of Greater Delaware Valley
- Mi Salud Wellness Center
- Asian Americans United (AAU)
- Northeast Philadelphia Chinese Association (NEPCA) – Fiscal Sponsor: Culture Trust Greater Philadelphia
- GoPorter Consulting LLC
- Let’s Talk Philly! Conversation Circles (LTP) – Fiscal Sponsor: The Welcoming Center
- Latin American Book Fair – Fiscal Sponsor: Acción Colombia
- African & Middle Eastern Centers For Health & Development (AMEC)
- Global Emergency Response Action (GERA)
– – –
The deadline to submit an application was April 20, 2023. Questions and answers related to this opportunity can be found in this Google doc.
The Philadelphia City Fund, Office of Immigrant Affairs, and the Office of Innovation and Technology are happy to announce an opportunity for compensated focus groups to assess the communication needs of multilingual community members in the City of Philadelphia and contribute to the mission of the Language Access Philly Program of “Ensuring that all people can access City services in their language.”
This opportunity has been made possible thanks to the Operation Transformation Fund grant to improve translations on Phila.gov. Stipends of $5,000 each will be awarded to 10 organizations. Each organization will be expected to conduct at least one (1) focus group with a minimum of ten (10) participants who speak and read in a language other than English. The focus groups will identify most frequently accessed contents on the phila.gov website and share any findings about information that seems unclear or poorly translated.
Compensation will be distributed through the Philadelphia City Fund as follows: 50% at the planning stage, and 50% at the closure stage. The timeline for presenting the deliverables to the Office of Immigrant Affairs should not exceed three months from the award date. Please refer to the Opportunity Guidelines for more details.
Should you have questions, please submit them via email to OIA@phila.gov.
View the opportunity guidelines and application form in languages other than English:
- Arabic | العربية
- Chinese (Simplified) | 简体中文
- French | Français
- Haitian Creole | Kreyòl Ayisien
- Portuguese | Português
- Russian | Русский
- Spanish | Español
- Swahili | Kiswahili
- Vietnamese | Tiếng Việt
– – –
* We use the term “polyglot Philadelphia” to highlight that the City’s numerous language communities are central to Philadelphia’s whole identity. This term was first used by the Philadelphia Inquirer in Dec. 2022 while highlighting City Language Access services. We continue using this term to increase awareness and accessibility of these services to the public.