Call for Applicants: Office of Worker Protections’ Community Outreach and Education Fund
The Philadelphia Office of Worker Protections is accepting applications to join the second cohort of Community Outreach and Education Fund partners through September 30, 2023.
Following the success of the inaugural Community Outreach and Education Fund (COEF) — which trained dozens of staff from community organizations and engaged over 40 trusted institutions in the distribution of worker protection resources in over 25 languages — the Office of Worker Protections will award a total of $95,000 distributed between ten trusted organizations.
The 2023-24 Community Outreach and Education Fund (COEF) will have two tiers — three community programming partners and seven resource sharing partners.
- Three Community Programming Partners will receive grants up to $20,000. These partners will develop and integrate worker protection programming for their members or communities, which could include a series of community training or a certificate program, integration into existing educational programming, or the development of an online training program. During the winter, partners will develop internal organizational materials and training curriculum, and run community programming in the Spring through June 2024. The Office will provide training PowerPoint templates and certificate templates, training videos and resources in multiple languages. Community Programming Partners will submit written confirmation at three points throughout the partnership.
- Seven Resource Sharing Partners will receive grants up to $5,000. These partners will share resources on worker protections directly with their communities online and in-person. Resource Partners will also be provided optional training and networking opportunities with fellow COEF Partners. The Office will provide social media toolkits, flyers and wage and hour logbooks in multiple languages. Resource Sharing Partners will submit written confirmation at two points throughout the partnership.
To be eligible for a grant from the Community Outreach and Education Fund, organizations must be:
- Located in Philadelphia
- Serving communities impacted by Philadelphia’s labor laws
- Able to demonstrate status as an established, trusted voice within their community
- An established organization/institution, including but not limited to a nonprofit, a 501(c)(3), 501 (c)(4), 501 (c)(5), 501 (c)(6), or a group fiscally sponsored by one of the above. Individuals or sole proprietors are not eligible for COEF. For specific eligibility questions, please contact Eric Schulz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A multi-stakeholder group comprised of various labor and city partners will select grantees through a formal review process based on specific criteria including:
- Organization mission (this does not need to be specific about labor or employment).
- The community served such as demographic, zip code, and household income
- Size and make-up of the organization.
- Experience or history with the Office of Worker Protections.
- Relationship to communities most impacted by Office of Worker Protection labor laws.
Applications will open September 15, 2023 and close at 11:59 PM on September 30, 2023.
The Office of Worker Protections will host virtual Office Hours to answer questions on September 20, 2023 from 10 AM – 12 PM. Interested participants can join via this link.
Awardees will be selected by mid-October 2023 and go through orientation in early November 2023.
For more details or questions, contact Eric Schulz (email@example.com), Director for Outreach and Communications with the Philadelphia Office of Worker Protections.